It’s exam time now and I have a lot of studying to do along with other assignments so my life has been and will continue to be chaotic.
Anyway, being in Germany for this long has made me really miss specific things about the US. There are certain things that I took for granted or didn’t expect to miss but I do.
- Pizza- all I want right now is a good Papa Johns pizza
- Water Fountains- they pretty much don’t exist anywhere. The campus doesn’t even have them.
- Free Refills- I don’t necessarily mind this one until it applies to water. You have to pay for water and pay to refill it.
- Southern Hospitality- I probably miss this the most. I’m used to smiling at strangers and saying something to them. This does not exist at all here in Germany. Most people give me weird looks when I say “hey” or smile at them because it’s so uncommon.
- “Correct” English- not a big deal at all but non native speakers sometimes have a hard time forming a sentence to where it makes sense to me. On the other hand, I have to construct my words in such a way that is very clear to them.
- English- Yes I miss hearing and speaking the language all of the time but what really bugs me is when titles of things (like books, movies, slogans, etc) are in English but everything else is in German. It’s giving me false hope!
- Cinnamon Rolls- they’re a rare find
- An Oven- I love to bake food and desserts so much. I feel so un-Tony-like!
- “Soft” Water- the water here is hard (high mineral content). My skin and hair have to be constantly moisturized.
- An Actual College Campus- because my University was built after the city was constructed, there’s no space for an American like campus. There aren’t couches or places to hangout or study.
- UNC Chapel Hill- I love my Alma Mater and it holds a special place in my heart.
- Family- being so far away makes me appreciate my family. I wont be coming home until 2017, which is hard, but I know that the experiences that I’m having here will benefit me in the future.
Although I miss a lot about my home, I do have a true appreciation for German culture. That’s all for now. Peace!
This article pretty much sums up my feelings: http://youngadventuress.com/2012/06/12-things-i-miss-about-america.html